Sunday 3 March 2013

GIVE A GIFT

May peace be upon you.

I used to have long talks with my good neighbour, Mrs. S, who is a Christian, on many subjects. One day she told me something that felt like somebody gave me a punch on my face. She bluntly said,"Muslims do not like to give gifts..." I said, "you mean Malays?" She replied," No, I mean Muslims as a whole. My sister who converted and married a Saudi and staying in Saudi Arabia told me, Muslim there do not like to give, too."

I was shell shocked. Like a bomb just exploded in front of me!

I informed her that in the Quran, Muslims are greatly encouraged to give whether, in good times or in bad times. The Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him [pbuh] loves to give and encouraged Muslims to give.

Muslim and Muslimat, have we failed our beloved prophet [pbuh] ?

The Quran stated that you will not become poor if you give especially to the needy instead Allah will give you bountiful more. A friend of mine, who is generous, told me, one day she had only $10 on her. Suddenly, she saw a donation box for an orphan home. It took a colossal effort for her to take out the money and put it in the box because she was convinced that was the last money she had for the month. However, she remembered that God had ordained Muslims to give in wealth and in hardship.

Suddenly, that very evening, her sister gave her $700! It was rent money from their family home and it was her turn to receive it. It was totally unexpected. She said to me, didn't Allah promise to give us bountiful more if we give.

The same thing happen to my brother in law. He was walking with some friends when a homeless man who looked drunk asked them for money. He said he was hungry. One of them said, don't give him any because he will just buy liquor. But, another friend reminded them, the Prophet [pbuh] gave to anyone who asked him whether that person was poor or rich and that they should not judge people.

They gave him what they had, which was just a few ringgit. That evening after prayers, out of the blue, a rich man gave them $200! Believe it or not.

 Hence, don't ever be afraid to give. You won't lose anything.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this is good stuff. Write some more! However!Pls I hate to prove that I'm not a robot whenever i want to comment. Pls switch off the verifacation character. At least until youre totally famous. :)

    ReplyDelete