Tuesday 16 October 2012

MY RAMBUTAN TREE



This is my rambutan tree. To all of you who live outside the realm of  tropical heaven, rambutan literally means hairy fruit. Sweet and juicy. They are still unripe. We have to wait for another month before they are fully ripe. Then the colour of the rambutan will turn to fiery red.

         My nextdoor neighbour, Mrs. S is more excited than I am about the rambutan fruits. Her sister who came all the way from Riyadh makes my rambutan tree looks like some kind of a tourist attraction.

          I  also planted a cocout tree in my back garden. My mom forced me to plant this. She kept nagging me until I, the ever 'filial' daughter, grabbed  the hoe and planted the coconut sapling. Lo and behold after  a year and a half the tree started to produce coconuts. The problem is, this is a super coconut tree. It yields around 30 to 50 coconuts at one time! And it never stops fruiting. Now who is going to drink and eat these fruits?

          At first I did give many of the fruits to my neighbours but after a while it has become too cumbersome. Do you know how heavy a coconut is and how difficult to open one? Now my mom kept nagging me to cut down the coconut tree...

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I am "outside the realm of tropical heaven", as you say--so I love hearing about your garden! We have some lovely fruits here in Northeastern U.S., but the tropical ones are what I dream of...and most of them do not travel well, I am told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for not replying promptly.Thank you for your interests in my garden. I'm not good at updating anything. The rambutan fruits are already ripe and already eaten by my family and friends. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. I'm so lazy when it comes to taking pictures. you're right tropical fruits do not travel well. So you have to come here to experience it.

    ReplyDelete