Thursday 4 July 2013

WHY DO WE HAVE TO FIGHT ?



                                       You and I by Irfan Makki
                                            

May peace be upon you

I found myself difficult to write sad things. Especially about wars.  The world had witnessed and still witnessing horrendous wars.

 When I was a kid, it was the Vietnam War. Malaysia also had its fair share of war. The Communist insurgent was war against Malaysia. I'm glad that was over. Then came the Afghanistan war, the Cold War, the Bosnian War and the list goes on and on...

Today it is in Syria and in Mesir/ Egypt it is looming.

Why do human beings like to fight? Why can't we sit down and talk? If they really want to fight, just fight one to one combat between the Generals or their champions or whatever as long as it does not involve women and children and the weak.

My heart breaks into pieces when I see children maimed or killed in this ruthless war. Are their tears and blood  so cheap? Are they just collateral damages? There must be an International convention for women, children and the weak to be  be allowed to leave the country before or when the war erupted.

I was a volunteer in a Bosnian Refugee camp [not exactly a camp more like a building converted into a temporary shelter] during the Bosnian War. It was sad to see women and children who had to flee from their own country and live in a place with just basic amenities.

The thing that touched my heart when I was at the camp was, even in their dire straits, these women who had lost their property and perhaps their family... offered me a bag of their coffee beans. It seemed those beans meant a lot to them and they wanted to share it with me. Words could not describe how I felt at that moment.

I learned that humanities will not die even in a terrible, troubled situation. LOVE WILL PREVAIL.


No comments:

Post a Comment